A large felt need for our staff team is the ability to text updates to various groups of students in our scope. Perhaps a broad message to all students involved, a timely reminder to Discipleship Group leaders or even an announcement to students from a specific campus. I wrote about Texthub a while ago…which has since moved to a freemium model that prices us out of service as well as Begrouped.com which has cut service for a while. After searching high and low we’ve discovered a Portland startup called Celly! It’s worthy of a look for all you ministry leaders. The founders assured me they’re going to be around for a while.
Here’s what it can do for free…
- Set up cells (groups) of unlimited size that you can text and receive responses from.
- Send multiple cells the same message by including a #hashtag
- Adjustable settings to require a username to be made when they’re invited to join (so you can see who is in the cell)
- Provides a keyword for each cell so that members can text in a request to join
- Provides easy manual entry of invitations to join via either phone number or email
- Adjustable settings to allow reply all, or have responses go only to administrator
We’re just getting our feet with it, but it looks great. Our goal is to have it all updated with various cells before we break for the summer so that we can send timely reminders when the Fall season rolls around.
Do you use a texting service in your ministry?
Other posts kinda like this one: